AmeriCorps Utah STEM Initiative
STEM education is vital to 21st century youth success. The AmeriCorps Utah STEM Initiative provides hands-on STEM-focused activities for young people throughout Utah County and other parts of the state. AmeriCorps members work with schools and afterschool programs to provide STEM sessions to young people ages 5–18. These STEM sessions give participants the chance to apply STEM learning in a variety of hands-on activities including designing and building bridges, buildings, and ships; running lab experiments; and doing basic coding and web-programming. With so many technological advances happening every day, the American workplace has become extremely tech-focused. Workplace innovation requires that young people enter the workforce with a more comprehensive understanding of science, technology, math, and engineering. STEM education also provides an excellent atmosphere for the development of interpersonal skills, particularly working with different kinds of people and being able to communicate effectively, whether face-to-face or electronically.
Are you interested in being a STEM AmeriCorps member? This is a great opportunity to provide service close to home that makes a huge impact.
REQUIREMENTS: Applicants must be at least 18 years of age, have some college experience, and meet the requirements set by the Corporation for National and Community Service—this is a great opportunity for current college students or for people looking to go back to school soon. Individuals who have successfully completed an AmeriCorps term of service are eligible to serve again as long as they comply with the national requirements and obtain approval from the program director. Reasonable accommodations can be made for interviews and service as needed.
Preference will be given to those with experience in science, technology, engineering, math, or working with youth.
POSTION SUMMARY: Lead STEM sessions with youth in schools.
- Deliver informal STEM based activities (all of which align with the Utah Common Core standards) to small groups of students in breakout sessions throughout the school day and after school hours.
- Engage volunteers from STEM based businesses to provide STEM instruction to youth in schools.
- Provide the communication, passion, and organization that this program will require to be successful.
- Work with 300 students each month
- Complete 8 STEM sessions with 300 students over the course of one school year
- Measure impact through student and teacher pre and post surveys
- Attend monthly AmeriCorps trainings & participate in quarterly retreats
- Comply with all Boys & Girls Clubs of Utah County policies and procedures
TO APPLY: email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional support for this program has been provided by the following:
BRUCE & CECELIA